Soph x Makeup Revolution Palettes - Worth it?

Over the past couple of weeks, I was noticing a bit of a buzz in the makeup community over an extremely affordable eyeshadow (and highlighter) palette. I'm a sucker for a good eyeshadow palette, especially if there are tons of colours I can work with, and if it's fall themed? Bingo! This palette seemed like it was right up my alley. 

Youtuber/Beauty Guru sophdoesnails collaborated with a UK based cosmetics company called Makeup Revolution to create both an eyeshadow palette and a highlighter palette. Both palettes were created to express Soph's true individuality, as well as cater to the rest of the makeup community. 

The eyeshadow palette ($16.38 CAD) features rich and warm tones, perfect for the cooler seasons, as well as a pop of more fun and experimental colours to play with towards the middle of the palette. 


I was a little hesitant to start playing with these shadows, as this brand is considered "drug store", and I was worried the quality wouldn't hold up to my usual Modern Renaissance standards (who doesn't love that palette?!). However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that these colours were actually extremely easy to use and blend on the eyes, even the dark shades! 

Here's a simple, everyday "fall" look I created, using the shades: Iced Coffee and Cuppa Tea in the crease, Peaches and Tiramisu blended towards the outer edge of the crease, Danger blended in the very outer corner towards the centre, Grow Old (finger patted) all over the lid and blended out with a brush to remove excess glitter at the top, and Fairy Lights in the inner corner. I used Nightmare as my eyeliner (look at that pigment!), and blended the matte colours into my waterline as well.


As for the highlighter palette ($13.12 CAD), I was a little less enthusiastic about it, but still very pleased considering the price point.


The first thing I noticed about this palette was how "pretty" the colours were. That's literally the best word I can use for it. Its simply pretty. In terms of "glowability", these shades give off a subtle to medium glow, so if you're looking for something utterly blinding, stick to those Becca ones! But for a daytime look, I think I'll definitely enjoy using these. One thing I noticed about these shades was that they do not fare well with a fan brush, so I'll definitely be using a more dense brush to pack the pigment on. I especially loved how these highlights showed up under my brow bone and cupids bow.

Now it's time for the 1-10 scale! 1 being poor and 10 being excellent.

Eyeshadow Palette
Colours: 10/10
Theme: 10/10
Matte-Shimmer Ratio: 10/10
Blendability: 10/10
Pigment: 8/10
Fall-out: 8/10
Stay Power: 10/10

Overall, the shadow palette is a solid 9/10 for me. I'll be reaching for this almost daily!

Highlight Palette
Colours: 8/10
Theme: 9/10
Glow Factor: 7/10
Blendability: 8/10
Pigment: 7/10
Fall-out: 10/10
Stay Power: 7/10

Overall, the highlight palette gets a 7/10 for me. Above average considering the colours fit my fair skin tone nicely, and the quality performs well for the price point. 

I would definitely recommend these two products to anyone looking for budget-friendly and fall appropriate colours, that perform with high-end quality.

Have a Thrilling Thursday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment